6.2.13

Lolita 52 Challenge: How people react and how I respond in return.


Okay, this is probably my favourite topic I have ever pulled for the Lolita 52 Challenge, I really love talking about things like this!

44. How strangers react to my clothes, and how I react to their reactions

For those of you who have been following this blog for a while, I do wear alternative fashions as a whole pretty often, even if it isn't necessarily lolita. If I'm leaving the house to do something other than go to the bank/post office, I try and dress up in something unique. For that reason, I've pretty much had a whole slew of responses to what I wear, but thankfully the bad responses aren't too severe. (Although there is this one time.)

I get anything from "are you part of a play?" to "you look like a princess!" or even general comments of admiration like, "wow, that's so cool you dress that way." If people ask a question I usually just respond with "this is a Japanese street fashion popular among some groups of young people," and they're usually just happy hearing that.

But I think the biggest (negative) thing I get are people blatantly pointing and staring at me to laugh or take photos. I usually just turn to them, smile really largely, and say "hello," and that terrifies them into submission, haha! I guess they expect no one to actually call them out on their rude behaviour, especially with kindness. I've realised that if they're around teenage age, they tend to be the meanest, especially where I live. Kids get away with too much here. D= If they're younger or older you tend to get generally positive comments, and old ladies are probably the funniest.

I also get "Lady Gaga" a lot, to which I grimace and say I have no intention of looking like her, but it is a Japanese street fashion--and then they laugh and say that's cool and move on. Most of my reactions don't last longer than a couple of sentences.

I've realised that just being nice to the people who are rude to you tends to rectify things faster than being rude. I've been with girls who would yell at them or glare and it just makes them want to poke fun at you more since they know they're getting to you. Just stay positive, or even goofy!

Previous topics:

6. My favourite lolita brand.
10. How I first found out about lolita.
14. Lolitas I would love to meet.
20. How satisfied I am with my current wardrobe.
26. How I get out of a wardrobe slump.

I'm currently traveling right now, so I won't be responding to comments as quickly as I normally do! Hope everyone is staying safe and having a good time. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a question or a comment! =) I try to answer them as quickly as possible, so please check back!